This Web book is based on public domain material provided by the US government and is available in several versions. See the editorial for more information.


Mongol term for the round, felt-covered tent known by its Russian (from the Turkic) name of yurt. The Kazakhs who use them call them Kigizui and the Mongolians call them ger. Due to Russia's influence, however, yurt is the best known word.

Wooden poles connect the lattice-work on the bottom of the yurt to the shangrak (the hole in the middle of the tent for the smoke to escape). This wood frame (kerege) is then covered with felt and then usually with canvas.

Last Update: 2004-12-29